Current:Home > Stocks‘Son of Sam’ killer Berkowitz denied parole in 12th attempt -WealthRoots Academy
‘Son of Sam’ killer Berkowitz denied parole in 12th attempt
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-06 17:41:23
ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — “Son of Sam” killer David Berkowitz, who set New York City on edge with late-night shootings in the 1970s, was denied parole after his twelfth board appearance.
Berkowitz, 70, was rejected after a Board of Parole prison interview on May 14, according to information listed on a state Department of Corrections and Community Supervision web site. Officials with the corrections agency would not provide additional information on Tuesday.
Berkowitz terrorized the city with a series of shootings that killed six people and wounded seven beginning in July 1976. The shooter targeted young women and couples sitting in cars. The papers called him the ”.44 Caliber Killer.” In taunting notes to police and a journalist, he called himself “Son of Sam” and said he received demonic messages to kill.
Berkowitz was arrested Aug. 10, 1977, a little more than a year after the first victim, Donna Lauria, was shot and killed in the Bronx.
The New York Police Department formed a 200-person task force to find the killer. The case was finally cracked after a witness reported a strange man on the street near the final shooting. Police checked traffic tickets that had been issued in the area and traced them to Berkowitz’s car and home in nearby Yonkers.
Berkowitz was sentenced in 1978 to the maximum prison term of 25 years to life for each of the six slayings. He first became eligible for parole in 2002.
Berkowitz has since expressed remorse and said he is a born-again Christian. He is being held at Shawangunk Correctional Facility, a maximum-security prison about 60 miles (97 kilometers) north of New York City.
veryGood! (7821)
Related
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- U.S. Air Force conducts test launch of unarmed Minuteman III ICBM from California
- New Pennsylvania Legislation Aims to Classify ‘Produced Water’ From Fracking as Hazardous Waste
- Proud Boys leader gets harshest Jan. 6 sentence yet, Tropical Storm Lee forms: 5 Things podcast
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- Florida lawmakers denounce antisemitic incidents over Labor Day weekend: 'Hate has no place here'
- Proud Boys leader gets harshest Jan. 6 sentence yet, Tropical Storm Lee forms: 5 Things podcast
- 49ers sign Nick Bosa to a record-setting contract extension to end his lengthy holdout
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- A football coach who got job back after Supreme Court ruled he could pray on the field has resigned
Ranking
- Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
- Coco Gauff becomes first American teen to reach U.S. Open semifinals since Serena Williams
- 5 asteroids passing by Earth this week, 3 the size of planes, NASA says
- Carmakers fail privacy test, give owners little or no control on personal data they collect
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Interior cancels remaining leases in Alaska’s Arctic National Wildlife Refuge
- Ecological impact of tennis balls is out of bounds, environmentalists say
- Suspect sought after multiple Michigan State Police patrol vehicles are shot and set on fire
Recommendation
Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
Suspect sought after multiple Michigan State Police patrol vehicles are shot and set on fire
Phoenix on track to set another heat record, this time for most daily highs at or above 110 degrees
Taco Bell free Taco Tuesday deal and $5 off DoorDash delivery Sept. 12
South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
Rams WR Cooper Kupp out for NFL Week 1 opener vs. Seahawks
Joe Jonas files for divorce from Sophie Turner after 4 years of marriage: 'Irretrievably broken'
Caleb Williams' dad says son could return to USC depending on who has NFL's No. 1 pick